Trail Monster Running

Visit the official TRAIL MONSTER RUNNING website for information on upcoming group runs, local trails, trail races and more, including the Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival and the Bradbury Mountain trail Running Series.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Twin Brook Snowshoe

After the 10 miler the other day, which I will finish writing a report about soon, I was talking to Peter about snowshoe racing so I'm thinking about heading down to Adams, MA on February 21 for a snowshoe half marathon. I have never raced in snowshoes before but I've always wanted to. This looks like a good one, 2500 feet of elevation gain (and descent) presumably up and down Mt. Greylock.

So with this in mind I decided to run in snowshoes tonight at Twin Brook to get some training in. I was still feeling sore from the 10 miler, particularly my calves but the conditions were good for shoeing, groomed trails with a little light powder on top. BTW, I felt about as bad after the 10 miler as I did after the Stone Cat Marathon, roads suck.

Jim and Blaine were also there tonight, sans snowshoes so they were sinking in a bit more than me as we made our way around the "normal" winter loop with a few slight variations. There was a fair amount of snowmobile traffic through Val Halla golf course but there is one section they still need to work on to get our loop in better condition. Come on guys! A strong and very cold wind blowing tonight, and some light snow but while we were in the shelter of the trees it wasn't bad at all.

I want to get some more hill work in before this snowshoe race so I'm cooking up a real killer route for the run this Saturday.

time: 52:40
distance: 5.31
pace: 9:55

weather: 23 degrees, 20 mph wind, 3 degrees with wind chill, snowy

conditions: soft packed snow

gear: Altas DT Snowshoes, Brooks Cascadia, wool socks, OR gaiters, tights, 2x long sleeve tops, t-shirt, gloves, mittens, 2x buff

No comments: