Trail Monster Running

Visit the official TRAIL MONSTER RUNNING website for information on upcoming group runs, local trails, trail races and more, including the Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival and the Bradbury Mountain trail Running Series.

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Friend of Bradbury

Today was the final official trail maintenance day of the year at Bradbury Mountain State Park and I took this opportunity to make a donation to the Friends of Bradbury from the proceeds of the Bradbury Mountain Trail Running Series. Thanks to Blaine for capturing the moment on video as I presented a check for $1500 to Fred Robie of the Friends.



I spent the next 4.5 hours on the Boundary trail, with help from Blaine, Chuck and Katy, working to improve drainage along the trail, clearing debris and rebuilding stone walls. It turns out those rocks are pretty heavy. The next time you're out on the Boundary Trail you should see a dramatic reduction in the quantity and extent of wet areas on the trail. It became clear today that it has been quite some time since this part of the park received any significant maintenance, and there is still a lot of work to do, but I'd like to think that we made good progress today.

If the weather cooperates for the next few weeks I would like to organize a Trail Monster Maintenance Day to get some more work done on this trail before the snow falls. If good drainage is established now then it means we should have a quicker return to dry trails in the spring. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Ian, you da man for organizing all the races to raise money for the park. You rock.

Sorry I didn't make it there today, but would love to do the next maintenance day. Keep me posted.

mindy said...

Nice work Ian. Count me in for the next trail maintenance day - sounds like you got a lot of good work done today!

Blaine Moore said...

I'm usually up for trail maintenance days as long as I'm reminded when they'll be. :) It was fun, sorry I couldn't stick around for more than a couple of hours. I still wasn't able to get all my work done yesterday even after leaving early.

Looking forward to getting out to try the new stepping stone bridge next weekend, though.

Sparkplug said...

Ian, definitely let us know when you're planning the next trail maintenance. We'd be happy to join in! We were helping a friend with timing at his nordic ski team event yesterday - sorry we missed out on the rock moving!