Trail Monster Running

Visit the official TRAIL MONSTER RUNNING website for information on upcoming group runs, local trails, trail races and more, including the Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival and the Bradbury Mountain trail Running Series.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Another Bradbury 6, and Fast Shoes

Back to Bradbury this morning for another 6 mile run. Just when we thought no one else was going to show Dave, Jim and Lily arrived. I had brought my snowshoes but since no one else had planned to run in them I left mine behind, but it turned out they would have been useful. It had only been two days since the last major snowfall and there hadn't been enough snowmobile traffic to pack down the trails so I thought the conditions were even worse than last Saturday.

We ran the "usual" route northeast along the Snowmobile Trail. Dave and Lily turned around at about 2.7 miles and I turned at 3. The three of us are all running the Mid-Winter 10-Mile Classic in Cape Elizabeth tomorrow so we didn't want to go too far. Emma and Jim wanted to get in 10 miles today so they kept going. Funny how people can say "I'm not in shape to race 10 miles" while they are in the middle of a 10 mile run in conditions far worse than they would ever encounter in a road race.

I had a nice run and felt pretty relaxed despite the arduous conditions.

time: 1:05:49
distance: 6.0 miles
pace: 10:57

weather: 23 degrees, sunny

conditions: very soft snowmobile trails

gear: Brooks Cascadia 3, wool socks, tights, 2x long sleeve tops, gloves, mittens, buff



Earlier this week I was in Boston and I came across these shoes that whispered "We'll make you run faster"

So I bought them in hopes of making up for lack of fast training by wearing fast looking shoes.
I'd never heard of them before: Saucony Grid Sinister. They look a little more substantial than a racing flat but a lot less bulky than most of the road shoes I've used before.
I like the fact that they have a relatively low heel at 27mm and weight only 10.3 ounces. That's about the same as the Inov-8's that I wear. I have yet to actually run in them, but they feel pretty good wearing them around the house. Hopefully they'll do the trick tomorrow during the race.

3 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Nice looking shoes! Hope they perform well. That's pretty light.

Glad you guys had fun despite the tough conditions. I bet it made it a good workout.

Regis044 said...

Sauconys used to be made in Bangor, Maine. I imagine they are made overseas these days. They supplied all my running shoes back in the day. I loved going to the store outlet in Bangor. Some sweet ass deals there!

R. Ian Parlin said...

$40 at Filenes Basement in Boston, and they did the trick.