Trail Monster Running

Visit the official TRAIL MONSTER RUNNING website for information on upcoming group runs, local trails, trail races and more, including the Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival and the Bradbury Mountain trail Running Series.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Back Yard Hill

Shortly after finishing the GAC Fat Ass on Saturday I started coming down with a major cold that has kept me from running for the past few days. Today was the first day that I felt good enough to get out and I was anxious to check out some of the local snowmobile trails. My hip flexors were pretty sore after the race so taking a few days to let them recover was probably a good idea.

I chose an all uphill route on the way out, about 1.5 miles of paved road, a little dirt road and then onto snowmobile trails to the top of Leighton Hill which is part of Blackstrap Hill. The trails were nicely packed and easy to run in the dark. This was my first time on top of this hill in real darkness and I was surprised at how much of the "bright lights" of Portland were visible, a nice surprise actually.

My right achilles was a little tight/sore on the way out but felt fine on the way back. This has been going on since December 26th, not a major concern but I suppose it's not going to go away on it's own. Perhaps it's time to start addressing it rather than ignoring it so it doesn't turn into something bigger.

time: 53:18
distance: 6:16
pace: 8:39

weather: low 20's, clear sky, light breeze

conditions: mostly dry roads, packed snowmobile trails

gear: Brooks Cascadia 3, Smart Wool socks, tights, long sleeve shirt, windbreaker, buff, mittens, headlamp, belly lamp

No comments: