Trail Monster Running

Visit the official TRAIL MONSTER RUNNING website for information on upcoming group runs, local trails, trail races and more, including the Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival and the Bradbury Mountain trail Running Series.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

It's a good thing I don't have a training schedule

It's a good thing I don't have a training schedule because I'd never be able to follow it. My midweek runs didn't play out anything like I thought they might, but I still had a pretty good week.

TMR TNR

Jeff had the idea of doing 800 meter repeats, so after about 2.75 miles of our regular route we ran the "A Loop" fast and it turned out to be exactly 1/2 mile by our Garmin measurements so we decided to make this our repeat loop with an easy 2 minute recovery in the grassy fields between each rep. I was feeling good after my weekend without a long run so decided to wear my Vibram Five Fingers for this run. This was the first time I've tried speed work in Vibrams and luckily we were on a pretty easy trail so I didn't have to worry too much about stubbing a toe or stepping on a sharp rock. There was the additional challenge of quickly fading daylight, and during the last repeat it was pretty damn dark in the woods but it didn't effect my speed. The "A Loop" has some of the best hills at TB and if I had been wearing shoes with good grip as opposed to the Vibram slicks I may have been a little more efficient and perhaps quicker but since I pretty much never do speed work I wasn't really concerned.


1/2 mile repeats: 3:32, 3:35, 3:25, 3:19

time: 54:39
distance: 6.41 miles
pace: 8:32

Wednesday

I was in Farmington for a meeting in the afternoon and Jeff had suggested I check out the trails at Titcomb Mountain. This sounded like a good idea at first but when I got out of my meeting at 6pm at got to the mountain I realised there was very little daylight left, I didn't have a headlamp and I really didn't want to get lost on unfamilar trails so I headed home without getting a run in for the day.

Thursday

My boss picked me up at 7:30 am to head back to Farmington which meant that after returning to our office in the afternoon I was without transportation to get home except for my own two feet. Luckily I had brought my running stuff with me so after work I ran a lap of Back Cove and then home. For quite a while I had been thinking that I needed to get in a midweek run over 10 miles but never managed to fit it in, but since I was able to combine the run with getting home I was fianlly able to make it work. Nice cool conditions, lovely evening for a run.

time: 1:20:12
distance: 10.27 miles
pace: 7:48

Friday

Since I arranged to meet Emma after work in Portland I decided to run to work in the morning to avoid us each having a car in town. I packed a bag with my work clothes and lunch, and gave myself a little under an hour to get there. Interestingly, I guess, it turned out to be exactly 10k from door to door as measured by my Garmin. It was a nice morning for a run, but the route pretty much sucked because of all the traffic going into Portland and the busy intersections I had to get through. Not the most enjoyable run but it was convenient.

time: 48:11
distance: 6.2 miles
pace: 7:47

I didn't really want to run both Thursday and Friday, Friday is usually one of my days off from running since I usually pack a lot of running in on the weekend. I don't like the idea of running 4 days in a row but that's how it was going to work out this week. I've always been a relatively low-mileage runner and even when I'm running 5 days a week, which it pretty much the most I'll ever do I never run more than 3 consecutive days. Oh well.

No comments: