Trail Monster Running

Visit the official TRAIL MONSTER RUNNING website for information on upcoming group runs, local trails, trail races and more, including the Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival and the Bradbury Mountain trail Running Series.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Twin Brook Mudfest

A lot of rain recently meant that normally wet Twin Brook was exceptionally muddy this evening, and still a lot of fun. We had another big group that included Jim, Jeff, Tom, Blaine, Erin, Shauna, Yana, Erik, and Mindy. Jeff commented that we really must bring a video camera next week to record the now infamous river crossing, although the run up to the river is turning out to be more of a challenge than getting across the river. I hope I remember the camera next week.

The pace started out slow and gradually crept up throughout most of the run. I ran two of the three sprint lines and discovered that I still have some recovery to do from my recent mountain running efforts before I can really run fast again. I had noticed a little tightness in my hamstrings throughout the day and a funny pain like feeling behind my knee but neither bothered me during the run, I think the easy first mile helped, and I feel much better now. Perhaps a recovery run yesterday would have been better than taking the day off from running (Blaine might agree).


Following the normal 5.5-ish mile route Jeff, Tom, Blaine, Jim and I headed out for a barefoot lap of the playing fields and adjacent grassy trails. The barefoot running felt great and I noticed how easy it was to let the pace creep up, nothing particulary impressive though. Since I know I'm still recovering from Saturday's run at Sunday River (and something else) I won't be racing the Back Cove 5k tomorrow night but I may run it easy in my Vibram Five Fingers.

time: 1:01:18
distance: 6.89 miles
pace: 8:54

weather: mid 60's, very humid, overcast and light showers

conditions: mud and puddles

gear: Inov-8 Mudroc 280, socks, shorts, t-shirt, hat

1 comment:

Blaine Moore said...

My legs are pretty sore today, but they feel much better after the run than they did before the run.

Hopefully another day of sitting on my rear end at work doesn't make them sore again.