Trail Monster Running

Visit the official TRAIL MONSTER RUNNING website for information on upcoming group runs, local trails, trail races and more, including the Pineland Farms Trail Running Festival and the Bradbury Mountain trail Running Series.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Pumpkin Carving


On Sunday I got together with my extended family for our annual pumpkin carving party and I took the opportunity to work on my entry for the Wicked Creepy Halloween Trail Run this upcoming Friday night. There is no fee to enter this race, but registered runners are asked to bring a carved pumpkin to the MidCoast Multisport store in Brunswick the week before the race. These pumpkins will be placed on the course to illuminate the trail during the race.

Although it was a beautiful day I didn't manage to get a run in until after dark. I decided to do a lap of Back Cove taking the long way from home which works out to be an even 6 miles round trip. I ran a 7:35 pace for the first 5 miles which felt great, the last mile was slower because it included 120 steps up to the 7th floor of the USM library to visit Emma who was there studying all day.

Now it's time to taper for the marathon. I'm not sure if racing during a taper is a good idea, if fact I'm pretty sure it's not, but the race on Friday is only 4 miles. How much damage can I do in 4 miles on a dark unfamiliar trail?

3 comments:

RandyWoods said...

That's a kick ass pumpkin.

Anonymous said...

Cool pumpkin.
BTW this is great site. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Did RSDI have a course in pumpkin carving?